Finite karman/destiny patterns?

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Fri Aug 9 18:57:24 UTC 2002

>A talk of 84 lak.sa yonis is heard in the tradition. In the foreseeable
>future, I would not have the time needed to determine what the textual
>support for this is.

Yes; I have seen this sort of statement, in one case attributed to the
Brahmavaivarta Purana, in another, to Manu (where I could not find it):

        jalajaa navalak.saa.ni sthaavaraa lak.savi.mzati /
        k.rmayo rudrasa.mkhyaakaa.h pak.si.naa.m dazalak.sa.nam /
        tri.mzallak.saa.ni pazavaz caturlak.saa.ni maanu.saa.h //

But these are, as you say, yonis -- 'species', in a broad sense -- not
human life-patterns of the kind I was thinking of, where the duration and
major events of a person's life are defined beforehand (though with some
scope for variation).

Thanks,
Martin Gansten