Bhallatazataka

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Sep 5 17:12:40 UTC 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Jonathan Silk wrote:

> In Zachariae's edition of Mankhakoza, p. 60, regarding the cy to 454c
> vaiyaap.rtyakaro bhogii, he refers to Bhalla.tazataka 37. I have at
> hand the edition edited by Vedkumari Ghai and Rampratap (Delhi:
> Meharchand Lachhmandas, 1985), and can find nothing relevant in verse
> 37 or elsewhere. What am I missing?

In the old Kavyamala edition of the Bhallatasataka vs. 37 there seems to be a
pun on bhogin. So I guess it is the right one. See

        Kaavyamaalaa : a collection of old rare Sanskrit Kaavyas, Naatakas,
        Champuus ... / ed. by Pandita Durgaaprasaada and Kaazinaatha
        Paa.n.duranga Parab. - Part IV. - Bombay : Nirnaya-Saagara Press,
        1887, p. 140-156, esp. p. 145
        [Note that this is a volume of the Roman numbered Kavyamala series]

In our library we have also a newer edition (with Hindi paraphrase) that gives
the same text as the Kavyamala edition:

        Bhalla.tazatakam ... / vyaakhyaakaara.h Raamacandra Maalaviiya.h.
        Sampaadikaa Maayaa Maalaviiya. - Prayaaga :
        Ganganaatha-Jhaa-Kendriiya-Sa.msk.rtavidyapii.tham, 1993. -
        (Gairvaa.niigauravagranthamaalaa)

Peter Wyzlic

--
Indologisches Seminar der Universitaet Bonn
Regina-Pacis-Weg 7, D-53113 Bonn