snakes and wells

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Wed Oct 3 13:45:11 UTC 2001

Dear Arlo Griffith,

it is well known that the half-divine nAgas (poisonous snakes, cobra
snakes) are closely associated with water and with sacred places along
rivers; see Charles Autran, L'epopee indoue, Paris 1946, ch. III and IV;
you might also check Jean Philippe Vogel, Indian serpent lore, the nAgas in
Hindu legend and art, London 1926.
As far as snakes in water-wells are concerned, what comes immediately to my
mind is the famous parable of the Man in the Well, Mahabharata 11.5-6. Here
a large nAga (vs. 5.13, additional line in some mss.: mahAnAgam apazyata;
vs. 5.20 kUpAdhastAc ca nAgena; vs. 6.7 yas tatra vasate 'dhastAn mahAhiH)
is imagined at the bottom of the well (5.10 udApAna, otherwise kUpa).
But this is, of course, much later than your AV passage.

Regards,

Georg v. Simson