The evil eye in Skt literature?

George Hart ghart at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Nov 28 00:44:38 UTC 2001

Good question.  In Tamil, the Skt. Borrowing tiruSTi (< dRSTi) is used for
evil eye.  Put the evil eye is usually kaN vai -- literally putting the eye
(both Dravidian words).  But getting rid of the evil eye is tiruSTi kaZi
(kaZi means to remove).  Apte does not give "evil eye" as a meaning for
tiruSTi, but since belief in the evil eye is universal in India (and the
Mediterranean and elsewhere), there must be some Sanskrit word for it -- I'm
not sure what it is.  Perhaps someone else can help.  I'm sure there must be
many Sanskrit treatises on the evil eye.  When all else fails, look in Kane.
GH.