"Saantideva's literary ability

Madhav M. Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Nov 27 19:49:54 UTC 2001

There are similar self-demoting verses at the beginning to Kaalidaasa's
Raghuvamza (cf. kva suuryaprabhavo vamza.h kva caalpavi.sayaa mati.h /
titiir.sur dustaram mohaad u.dupenaasmi saagaram//) and Tulasidaasa's
 Raamacaritamaanasa, and many other works one can cite.

Madhav Deshpande

--On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, 8:33 AM +1300 Richard B Mahoney
<RBM49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am cross posting this request to both Indology and H-Buddhism. To
> those who receive it twice my apologies.
>
> I am trying to track down secondary literature on what seems to be a
> form of literary affectation at the start of "Saantideva's
> Bodhicaryaavataara and "Sik.saasamuccaya.
>
> At BCA I:2ab (Minayeff's ed.) and "SS p. 1 ln. 11 (Bendall's ed.) a
> similar half verse occurs :
>
>  na hi ki.mcid apuurvam atra vaacya.m na ca
>   sa.mgranthanakau"sala.m mamaasti | (Minayeff)
>
> Surely such an opening is formulaic? Do readers know of any secondary
> literature -- Indological or Buddhological -- on this subject?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
>

> Many regards,
>
>  Richard Mahoney
>

> --
> | 78 Jeffreys Rd                                 +64-3-351-5831 |
> | Christchurch                                      New Zealand |
> +--------------[mailto:rbm49 at it.canterbury.ac.nz]---------------+

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
3070 Frieze Building
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285, USA