demons and possession in old sources

SuryaPrakash Sharma ridhi88 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 31 02:44:51 UTC 2001

--- Lukas Werth <lukas.werth at RZ.HU-BERLIN.DE> wrote:
> At 22:09 30.03.01 +0100, you wrote:
> >>Can anybody suggest old sources to me which deal
> with demon (bhut, pret,
> >>Tamil pey) possession and exorcism - preferably
> from 1200 AD downwards?
> >>Lukas Werth
> >
> >There are thousands of poems in ancient and
> medieval
> >Tamil describing spirit possession, 'veRi". Singing
> >veRi (veRi pATutal, veRiyATTu, veRi-ayratal) was
> considered demanding.
> >In sangam and prabandham literature a love-sick
> girl often
> >feigns the frenzied possession. Parents often
> >arrange exorcism by vEla_n priests, kaTTuvicci
> ladies
> >.... to scare the demon away, but in vain.
> >Needless to say, when scholars knowing Tamil well,
> >with a grounding in Sanskrit and modern advances
> >in shamanism, indology devotes years into Tamil,
> >new breakthroughs will be made in understanding
> >ancient Indian religion that includes drumming,
> blood
> >sacrifice, dance, songs and possession as important
> >components.
> >
> >Let me give a poem of about 2000 years antiquity
> >describing spirit possession:

> >    In that confused time
> >    when no one realized
> >    that it was the broad fragrant chest
> >    of the chieftain in the countryside of forests
> and waterfalls
> >    descending from high mountains where aNaGku
> dwells
> >    which caused [my] desire and suffering,
> >    the women of ancient wisdom proclaimed:
> >
> >         "She will be soothed
> >          by worshipping NeTuvEL
> >          whose strong arms are famous
> >          for wiping out those
> >          who do not bow to him."
> >
> >    In the awe-inspiring midnight,
> >    to invite Muruku,
> >    red millet mixed with blood
> >    was scattered as offerings,
> >    to the loud singing in the shrine,
> >    the spear was garlanded,
> >    the threshing-floor polished.
> >
> >       while [my] lover came to cure me
> >       of the debilitating illness of love,
> >       like a mighty tiger who moves fast,
> >       hiding in a shelter watching the elephants
> as its prey,
> >       so that the watchmen of the large house
> >       in our beautiful home
> >       do not see him.
> >
> >    He wears wreaths with many flowers
> >    buzzing with honey bees,
> >    which grow in plenty near the waterfalls
> >    on the slopes fragrant with sandal.
> >
> >    He comes to fulfill the desire of my heart
> >    with his lust,
> >    and whenever I make love to him
> >    so that I swoon in the soul's ecstasy,
> >
> >    I must laugh, really,
> >    when I see the waste
> >    spent here on the useless priest with the
> spear!
> >
> >                          -    akanAn2URu 22
> >
> >The female author is called "The Lovely Eyed One
> >who Sang About Religious Frenzy" (veRi pATiya
> >kAmakkaNNiyAr).

> [...]
in Atharva veda shonak and pappalad versions ,there
are many suktas dedicated to drive them off from the
house or from the body of any one,ref>av
1.7/1-5;2/11/1-5;etc..,there are many medicines also
suggested,to drive them off,also there are many
mantras to protect against the black magic and
kratyaa,adeadly killer one. etc..,
spsharma

=====