Text layers in the Gita

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 29 19:47:37 UTC 2001

Sri. LS wrote:
>I don't think so either. As far as I know, the
>reference to Krishna as charioteer (to Arjuna) itself
>is very rare in the AzvAr poetry. It occurs once in a
>verse by tirumGkai (periyatirumozi 2.3.1) as "pArttan
>tEr mun ninRAnai" etc..

 No old sculpture in Srivaishnava Tirupatis depicting
 Krushna teaching Gita to Arjuna either! Our Parthasarathy
 in AllikkENi looks more like the standard Hindu
 joint family portrait, rather than teaching Arjunan
 to fight wars. Tamil bhAratam knows Arjunan marrying
 Pandya princess (pac e_nRa tiru niRamum ... - villi),
 rather than being taught gita.

 Possibly, the Maratha period saw the production of
 the paintings with Krishna-Arjuna samvAdam. The nationalist
 usages of Gita where we can show one messiah and one book
 teaching us to the kitabi religionwallahs (bible, koran).

 Early Indologists saw their own bible in the gita and translated
 it 100s of times, and Indians started appreciating gita more and
 more (Tagore effect).Now plaster-of-paris gitopadsham artisan
 pieces in all Hindu homes.

 Quantum theory & Gita: the South Dravidians pronounce
 quantum as 'condom' using tamil rules of voicing T after N.
 See The Hindu story: Tinglish...random musings
 http://www.the-hindu.com/2001/03/29/stories/13290671.htm