Text layers of the Gita

Yaroslav Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Tue Mar 27 22:56:35 UTC 2001

Tue, 27 Mar 101 21:09 +0300 MSK Swaminathan Madhuresan wrote to INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK:

> Given that Dualism from Iran exerted a wide ranging influence, for example,
> in the last chapter on apocalypse in the Bible, does Krushna
> of the Bhagavad Gita represent a Messiah who descends to earth
> and preach to the embattled people? In the Tamil bhakti texts that swept
> across all of India in the next centuries, we do not find mentions
> of God coming and preaching to devotees. Instead, it is the devotee
> who always petitions and begs for grace 'aruL'. In the whole
> of Indian literature, gItA is unique in that here the God gives
> personal advice. Does this theme, like Maitreya Bodhisattva, come
> from Northwest and Iran?

        Dear Professor Madhuresan,
                I would better say that the idea of a Savior did not
necessarily come from the West, but rather that it was an idea which appeared
almost simultaneously in different parts of the ancient civilized world in the
so-called  "Axial period" - when archaic, mythological religions, based on the concept of
"Eternal Return", were replaced by the soteriological (Salvation) religions.
Historically the idea of King-Savior seems to be recorded first of all in Iran,
but it does not mean that all other ancient peoples merely borrowed it from Iranians.
We know that in India the cult of Vasudeva existed already in Panini's time
(5th century BC). And we know also from the MahAbhArata that "Vasudeva" was in fact
something like a term for a God's incarnation on Earth, a Messiah: suffice it to say
that, according to the Mbh, Krishna had to fight against some "false Vasudevas",
who had appeared in different kingdoms of India. And there was also a definitely
historical Indian "King-Savior" - Ashoka. At the same time similiar ideas spread
even in China where Iranian or Greek influence is highly problematic...
        Sorry, it is too late now and I have no more energy and time to dwell on
this interesting topic.
        Best regards,
                                                Yaroslav Vassilkov

---
Yaroslav Vassilkov (yavass at YV1041.spb.edu)
Institute of Oriental Studies
Wed, 28 Mar 101 00:57 +0300 MSK