Text layers in the Gita

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Mar 27 01:02:44 UTC 2001

G. Mueller brings up an important point.  However, I would like to suggest
that a search for possible layers within the text of the BG and Mbh do not
obviate the need to study the received shape of these texts.  On the other
hand, they offer us a dimension which is not available otherwise.  While
it is true that the final shape attained by these texts needs to be
studied as having influenced their interpretation for most of later
period, a reconstruction of earlier layers provides us significant insight
into the evolving history (albeit hypothetical) of how the transmitters of
the text possibly responded to emerging religious and philosophical
trends.  The tradition itself admits alternative shapes of the text of the
Mbh (cf. manvaadi bhaaratam kecit aastiikaadi tathaapare, and the Suutra
reference to Bhaarata-mahaabhaarataacaaryaa.h, suggesting a Bhaarata text
different from the Mahaabhaarata).  Thus, one direction of study, in my
opinion, complements the other.  Best,

                                        Madhav Deshpande