is the Gita dishonest?

Krishna-kripa das bvi at AFN.ORG
Sat Mar 24 17:19:33 UTC 2001

At 05:22 AM 3/23/01 +0000, Arun Gupta wrote:
>Re: "The Gita is certainly not totally consistent" --
>My current understanding is limited; but I would venture
>the hypothesis that the Gita is paradoxical rather than
>"not totally consistent". Better understanding will resolve
>the paradoxes.

I agree.

And regarding consistency, Emerson once said, "A foolish consistency is
the hobgoblin of little minds."

It is interesting that even Arjuna appears to have
difficulty in following Krishna's argument and thus in the
beginning of chapters 3 and 5, for example, he asks for
clarification as to what is better, renunciation or work in
devotion.  Krishna then proceeds to clear up Arjuna's doubts.

Another point is that Krishna advises in 4.34 that one try to
understand the truth by inquiring submissively from and rendering
service to one who has seen the truth.  If this procedure is
not followed it is perhaps not surprising that the Gita will appear
paradoxical.  The 'truth' referred to there is described in the following
verse, 4.35, and is that all beings are within Krishna.

Best wishes to everyone,
Chris Beetle