University and Church

Brian Akers Sfauthor at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 22 19:18:41 UTC 2001

In a message dated 3/17/01 3:43:33 PM, dsalmon at SALMON.ORG writes:

>It would appear, thanks to the remarkable erudition on this list, that
>we were both wrong, since Hebrew as God's tongue has obviously  had
respectable
>Christian support.  Can't get much more pre-certified-orthodox than
>Augustine, I suppose.  Thankfully, the idea has not survived into modern
>times, though 1955 is a little too close for comfort.

I just got back from vacation and am slowly going through my e-mail.

A few years ago two of my aunts came to visit for a few days. I fielded the
inevitable question of "What exactly is Sanskrit and why do you study it?"

In the course of the following discussion, the eldest aunt (over 80 years
old) expressed the belief that if a child grew up without being taught a
language, he or she would speak Hebrew by default.

I assume one can attribute this belief to the one-room schools or small
churches of rural Wisconsin in the 1920s and 30s.

All the best,

Brian

BrianDanaAkers.com
sfauthor at aol.com