SV: reviews and comments (Freud, Vishnu, Kali, Indus Samskrut)

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Tue Mar 20 15:03:29 UTC 2001

Swaminathan Madhuresan [SMTP:smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM] skrev 20. mars 2001
15:13:
> For a review of a book (book author: Jeff Kripal)
> http://www.infinityfoundation.com/ECITvishnuframeset.htm

The author of the review makes the following remark:

>One just has to replace the word karma with belief in immaculate
>conception of Mary and rebirth with resurrection of Christ and dish it to
>a Christian to see how offensive the tone of the article is.

I would like to point out, that although the contents of the book may be
offensive to many Hindus, it is only fair to say that critique of
Christianity by many secularized people (agnostics/atheists) in the West is
just as, or even more, offensive. Thus Hindus should not feel that they are
being treated differently from others. They are just facing the brunt of
free speech in a society that values free speech higher than religion (one
of the reasons why the Rushdie affair had such devastating consequences in
many places and brought Muslims into such disrepute. The fact that the book
was insensitive to Muslim beliefs is of no consequence to the Western
person, who simply believes that people shouldn't be too sensitive about
their views and beliefs).

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,