Nazir Akbarabadi Workshop at Columbia

David Magier magier at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Mar 20 19:08:13 UTC 2001

The following even announcement is being posted to your listserv or
mailing list from the EVENTS CALENDAR section of SARAI. Please contact
event organizers directly for any further information. The SARAI events
calendar is at:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/southasia/cuvl/conferences.html

============
Nazir Akbarabadi: Poet of the People?*

A workshop on the Urdu poet Vali Muhammad Nazir (ca 1735-1830) will be
held at Columbia University's Southern Asian Institute on May 12,
2001, from 10-5. In the morning session, we will read a few short
poems by Nazir: a self-portrait, a description of Holi, and
Banjara-nama, among others. In the afternoon, we will consider the
critical reception of Nazir and attempt to place him within his
cultural context. Registered participants will receive in advance a
packet of materials (texts in Urdu and in transliteration, literal
translations, and critical evaluations). The morning session will be
chaired by Fran Pritchett, and the afternoon by Aditya Behl.

To register, please provide a mailing address to Phil Oldenburg
(pko1 at columbia.edu) at the Southern Asian Institute. Lunch will be
provided. The Institute is located on the 11th floor of the
International Affairs Building, 420 West 118th Street, New York.

 *PANOPTICAL? PANTHEISTIC? PASSIONATE? PEDAGOGIC? PEDERASTIC?
 PERSIANATE? POETIC? POLITICAL? POPULAR? PORNOGRAPHIC?
 PROBLEMATIC? PROGRESSIVE? PROLIX? PROSAIC?