SV: SV: UNiversity and Church

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Sat Mar 17 21:32:05 UTC 2001

I presume that when it says "this is the language which God spoke, it
means that this is the language in which he inspired the Hebrew Bible"
and in which when he talked with the Patriarchs and Prophets, he
addressed them.

Allen Thrasher

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.

Senior Reference Librarian       101 Independence Ave., SE
Southern Asia Section               LJ-150
Asian Division                            Washington, DC 20540-4810
Library of Congress                     U.S.A.
tel. 202-707-3732                       fax 202-707-1724
Email: athr at loc.gov

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the
Library of Congress.

>>> Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK> 03/17 11:06
AM >>>
Martin Delhey wrote:

> But it should be noted that this view indeed existed in Christian
Europe. It
> seems have to be discarded by the 19th century. Refer e.g. to the
> Encyclopedia Britannica. (Section on "Historical Attitudes toward
> language").

Not quite the same view but similar are quoted with approval in the
introduction to the 1955 ed of Biblical Hebrew in the once
prestigious
Teach Yourself series (R.K. Harrison):  "[Hebrew] is the eternal
mother-tongue of all true religion" and "This is the language which
God spoke".  One assumes that his motives are to encourage the study
of Hebrew among Christians as he deplores the lack of interst among
theology students.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge