Interpreting the Gita

Swami Tyagananda tyag at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Mar 17 20:08:29 UTC 2001

I feel a careful study of the Gita makes it pretty obvious that
Krishna's  purpose was not really to teach Arjuna how to fight the war but
what Arjuna's "duty" was at that time and how he should carry out his
"duty." In the historical context, it so happened that at that time
Arjuna's duty was to fight for a just and righteous cause.
         If Gita taught war, it would have no relevance to most of us today
who are unlikely to go and fight a war. But generations of practitioners
can testify to its continued relevance and importance in showing us a way
when we are confused about the nature of our duty and the best way of
carrying it out. That, at least, is my understanding of the Gita.
         A much respected commentary on the Gita in Marathi is titled
Karma-rahasya ("The Secret of Work"). It was written at the beginning of
the last century by Bal Gangadhar Tilak.
         Best wishes,
         Swami Tyagananda
         Vedanta Society
         Boston