SV: SV: UNiversity and Church

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Sat Mar 17 12:00:52 UTC 2001

David Salmon [SMTP:dsalmon at SALMON.ORG] skrev 16. mars 2001 21:59:
> Lars Martin Fosse wrote in reply:
> >
> > This sounds like a very American phenomenon. I grew up in the Norwegian
> > Bible belt, but no one ever claimed as far as I can remember that
Hebrew
> > was mankind's first language. (The Bible of course says so, but most
> modern
> > Christians realize that they are dealing with a myth and not with
> history).
> >

> I don't believe the Bible does say so.  Please cite your source.

I am afraid I have to eat humble-pie here. I should have checked the
biblical text instead of relying on my obviously mistaken memory. The Bible
only says that men spoke the same language, and that God confused them so
that they shouldn't become too powerful.

> No doubt some ignoramus would assume so, and has at one time or another,
but
> I fail to see why ignorance should be seen as a "very American" trait.
> Kindly cite your source.  :-)

Here, I am afraid that I fell prey to that very tempting European sport
called "tease the Americans" :-). (You know, America, that vast nation of
country bumpkins). I suppose I should apologize for that - there may be
sensitive souls on the list. The bottom line is that your description of
attitudes in American churches apparently matches my own description of the
attitudes of the Norwegian churches completely. So together, we have
hopefully killed the idea that Hebrew is regarded as the world's first
language by Christians.

Best regards,

Lars Martin

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse