Interpreting the Gita

V.V. Raman VVRSPS at RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU
Sat Mar 17 12:01:12 UTC 2001

1. I thank Dr. Upadhya for drawing attention to D. D. Kosambi's interpretation
of the Bhagavad Gita. Most readers here must be familiar with this work and
with scores of other scholarly commentaries on this world classic.

2. Please understand that my comments were made in the context of provocative
statements [<it is not a good book>, <it is a dishonest books> etc.] made to a
general audience which may not have had much familiarity with the work at all.

3. We live in a culture-sensitive world. A symposium on Gita in a non-Hindu
cultural matrix could inform, educate, and enlighten people on the positive
elements of other culures so as to build bridhges of understanding and mutual
respect so direly needed in the new century. Of course in the course of a
discussion one can draw attention to some of the not-so-positive elements in a
text or a tradition.

4. I am not denying anybody the right to criticize the Gita or any sacred book
for that matter qua scholars. Certainly, in a symposium on the work in which
scholars and students of the Gita are present, controversial theses may be
presented and mutually critiqued.

5. I am well aware my own comments are open to criticism also, and I welcome
them. That is what scholarly exchanges are all about. In matters of
interpretation, it is not so much <refuting>, as looking from another
perspective.

6. I was referring primarily to the attitude and tone of a scholar in the
analysis of a work that are held in reverence by millions of people, never mind
if these are misguided or enlightened people.

7. And I think the adherants of the religion (at least some of them) can
present their own perspectives with comparable severity: which I what I did.

8. Surely, if this group is interested in initiating a symposium on the Gita,
that is fine by me. But that may not be the wish of all the participants, given
that there is an enormous volume of literature on the topic in many
libraries.In any event, that's for other members to decide.

With best regards,
VVRaman
March 17, 2001