SV: "Bagger Vance" & Doniger on the Gita

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Wed Mar 14 10:26:32 UTC 2001

Prasad Velusamy [SMTP:prasad_velusamy at HOTMAIL.COM] skrev 14. mars 2001
03:31:
> Personally, I find Doniger's reading of the Gita appalling, insulting
> and blatantly anti-Hindu. I'm saddened that Drexel Univ. chose her
> to speak on the Gita, apparently without rebuttal except from a few
> audience members. I'm also distressed that her views are reported
> without a counter-opinion in a major US newspaper. Imagine what
> Americans think of the Gita after reading this. What can be done
> about this injustice?

America is a free society, and consequently people have the right to
discuss and criticize other people's religion. ("Right of free speech"). On
the other hand, as a Hindu disagreeing strongly with Doniger, YOU (or
anybody sharing your opinions) have the right to speak out against her, or
to write and publish a rebuttal, showing why you think she is wrong and
criticizing her views on Hinduism (you would of course have to find a
publisher or newspaper willing to print your rebuttal). Drexel university
was not required to have a "counterspeaker". There are countless venues for
debate and statements in a free society, from the simple soap-box to the
university hall or newspaper front page. Any theme such as Doniger's can be
reiterated and redebated anywhere in society. Your challenge is to do this
in such a manner that you convince.

And incidentally: I rather like the Gita, and prefer it to the upanishads.
So Doniger and I would not see eye to eye on this.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,