SV: Workshop on Islamicate Culture

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 14 15:21:08 UTC 2001

Prof. Yashwant wrote
>> One of the main differences between Hindi vs. Urdu and the
>> creation of Devanagari vs. Islamic scripts is the Hindus'
>> efforts to "come out" of their Islamicate culture.

>Devanagari was not created in response to "urdu" script. The
>script in North India continuously evolved from Brahmi to
>Devanagari. The term "Devanagari" is often used for script
>forms from say 10-11th century, but the dividing lines
>are fairly artificial and have been drawn for convenience of
>naming only. Devanagari has been continuously in use.

>The Urdu script is derived from Farsi (in turn from Arabic),
>it adds several Indian sounds.

I understand that Devanagari script was not created as
a response to Urdu script, and it evolved from Ashokan Brahmi script.
The question is whether the Moghul rulers used Urdu or
Devanagari script in their administration.

Pardon my ignorance. If devanagari was widely used say in 1600, 1700,
1800 & 1900 AD, why then was a big political movement to enforce
Devanagari? Under the nominal headship of Kashi Maharaj, the
Devanagari Pracharini Sabha in 19th century and its lobbying efforts
and British support? Also then, why scholars refer to as "one language,
 two scripts"? The two scripts represent more of religious affliations than
anything else.

Regards,
SM