Asoka's "conversion" (Re: Nobel prize winner on Indian identity)

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Mar 13 16:50:28 UTC 2001

Prasad Velusamy wrote:
>Amartya Sen on Indian National Identity
>From Indian Express March 4, 2001 Section II Pg. 8

>..... and that Asoka
>did convert to Buddhism from what would have been the-then form of
>Hinduism.

What was the "the-then form of Hinduism"? What was this religion's
name?

Today it is often taken for granted that there were distinct
religions "Buddhism" and "Hinduism", and people "converted" from
one to other.

The concept of mutual exclusiveness of "religions" originally
appears to have come from overseas to India.

Many text mention a number of faiths. I don't recall seeing
anything before 7-8th century that would clearly separate
Buddhism from what can be termed as "Hinduism". For example, the
separate religious traditions identified in Manimekhalai
are Shaiva, Brahmavadi, Vaishnava, Vedavadi, Ajivika,
Jain, Samkhya, Vaisheshika, and materialist in addition
to Buddhism.

Religions "of-the-book" are today followed by a majority
of the humanity. Many Hindus too feel compelled to come up
with a definition of Hinduism that "fits" the formulas used
to define Islam or Christianity. But is it necessary?

When someone accepted say Vaishnavism, can we say he converted
from the Vedic-Hindu faith?

Ashoka's grandfather Chandragupta is prominently mentioned
as having become a Jain monk in Jain tradition. Some believe
that for a while Ashoka leaned towards Jainism. It has been
common in India for kings to support multiple traditions at the
same time. In fact King Kharvel (born in the family of Rajarshi
Vasu) declares himself in his inscription (approx 2nd cent. BCE):

sava pasaNDa-puujako, sava devaayatan-sa.nskaarako

(worshipper of all sects, enhancer of all shrines)

Yashwant