Nobel prize winner on Indian identity

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 13 20:17:02 UTC 2001

A little more on the "research methodology" of the Prof Sen:

>Also pre-Muslim India was >not, as it is sometimes claimed, mainly a >Hindu
>country, since Buddhism was the dominant religion..

Prof Sen rejects the idea that pre-muslim India is "mainly a Hindu country"
on the ground that Buddhism was the "dominant" religion. Now the phrase
"mainly a Hindu country" is in terms of number of Hindus living at that
time. It doesn't need a historian to prove that only a few Hindus converted
to Buddhism. Buddhism was dominant because the "few" Buddhists who converted
in those days were closer to kings and enjoyed advisory positions. Prof Sen
got confused between quantity (number of Hindus) and political power. So
using his logic, as a BJP coalition is in power today we have a Hindu India!
Hurrah!

Regards
Bhadraiah