question

rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU rohan.oberoi at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Mar 12 22:17:38 UTC 2001

This is more a matter of geology than Indology, but it's interesting
that the best figures I can find from the Encyclopaedia Britannica
(available online) are exactly equal for the two rivers (see
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/single_table/0,5716,126476,00.html).
There is some very detailed Brahmaputra information on NASA's site (see
http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/DAAC_DOCS/geomorphology/GEO_4/GEO_PLATE_F-13.HTML)
but, reassuringly for those concerned about productive use of their
taxpayer dollars, no one seems to have analysed it carefully to
estimate the length of the river with greater precision.

Funk & Wagnall's encyclopaedia, on the other hand (see
http://www.funkandwagnalls.com/encyclopedia/getpage.asp?abspage=/articles/012000b/012000553.asp)
puts the length of the Indus at 2736km (1700miles) and the Brahmaputra
(http://www.funkandwagnalls.com/encyclopedia/getpage.asp?abspage=/articles/003002a/003002286.asp
at 2700km (1680miles), so a careful selection of sources gives the
prize to the Indus.  More honestly, the degree of precision involved
probably doesn't allow us to answer this question using the published
figures from encyclopaedias (and probably almanacs, though I haven't
looked any up).

Allen, it's all very well to direct people in the US to their
'university or public library', but Dr. Kochhar's email was from
India, and you must have some idea of the deficiencies of university
and public libraries in India.

Regards,
Rohan.