SV: SV: Workshop on Islamicate Culture in South Asia

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Mon Mar 12 16:01:30 UTC 2001

Swaminathan Madhuresan [SMTP:smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM] skrev 12. mars 2001
15:42:
> It was M.G.S. Hodgson who in 1970 coined this term:
> "by the sixteenth century, most of the East Christian, Hindu,
> and Theravada Buddhist peoples found themselves more or less
> enclaved in an Islamicate world where Muslim standards of taste
> commonly made their way even into independent kingdoms,
> like Hindu Vijayanagar or Norman Sicily."
> (p.120, Hodgson, Rethinking world history: essays on
> Europe, Islam and World history, Edited by
> E. Burke III, Cambridge Univ. Press)
>
> Because you are interested in Hindu, Hindutva, Islamicate
> culture of North India, this will be interesting:
> P. B. Wagoner, "Sultan among Hindu Kings", J. Asian Studies,
> 55, 4, 1996: 851-880.

Thank you for the information! I have never heard the term before, but when
I see it explained, it seems fairly logical to create such a term.
Islamicate then becomes "Islamic without the religion of Islam" or
"non-Islamic but Islam-influenced". Quite neat.

Lars Martin

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo