Idolaters (Plight of Buddhist art)

Rustam Masalewala masalewala at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 1 21:06:02 UTC 2001

The Holy Qur'an, translated by M.H. Shakir

9.5: So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters
wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in
wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and
pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving,
Merciful.

Sahih Bukhari, Book 75: Volume 8, Book 75, Number 345:

Narrated Jarir:

Allah's Apostle said to me. "Will you relieve me from Dhi-al-Khalasa? "
Dhi-al-Khalasa was an idol which the people used to worship and it was
called Al-Ka'ba al Yamaniyya. I said, "O Allah's Apostle I am a man who
can't sit firm on horses." So he stroked my chest (with his hand) and said,
"O Allah! Make him firm and make him a guiding and well-guided man." So I
went out with fifty (men) from my tribe of Ahrnas. (The sub-narrator,
Sufyan, quoting Jarir, perhaps said, "I went out with a group of men from my
nation.") and came to Dhi-al-Khalasa and burnt it, and then came to the
Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have not come to you till I left it
like a camel with a skin disease." The Prophet then invoked good upon Ahmas
and their cavalry (fighters).

Rustam