Did you hear this?

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Jan 31 06:31:00 UTC 2001

Rohit Chopra wrote:

> >No matter of chance, a matter of deliberate choice made to demean sanskrit.
> >The Nehruvian mind-set had no place for sanskrit.
> >
> >best,
> >
> >Bharat Gupt,Associate Professor,Delhi University,
>
> Dear Professor Gupt,
> Could you please elaborate what you mean by the 'Nehruvian mindset'?

In the present context, Nehru shared the general Marxist denigration of
things in Indian heritage related to religion, hence to the traditional arts
like music, rituals, yogic practices, various skills of mind-training
like as.taavadhaana, ancient theatre and so forth.

For more details, please bear with me and wait for my forthcoming book
India since Freedom: A Cultural Decline or Revival?
best,
Bharat Gupt,Associate Professor,Delhi University,
PO Box 8518, Ashok Vihar, Delhi 110052 INDIA.mobile:9810077914
tel 91-11-724 1490, fax 741-5658, email: bharatgupt at vsnl.com
homepage: http://personal.vsnl.com/bharatgupt