Did you hear this?

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 30 16:30:21 UTC 2001

--- Arun Gupta <suvidya at OPTONLINE.NET> wrote:
> I'm also told that the Bhagavad Gita is extremely
> popular at one of the
> Indian Institutes of Management.
>
> Horror of horrors !  How can this be permitted ?

But that's precisely the point :) Why should students
of IIT read the Gita? Isn't there enough religion/
popular philosophy already in the ambience promoting
the "hum kitne mahaan the" worldview?

In any case, if they don't read the Gita in the IIT,
it's not a major problem. We have it on Vidyasankar's
authority that they all end up in the US. There's
enough Gita in the Indian community here to last them
a lifetime :)

Why should IIT students learn Sanskrit? If they must
learn languages, why not modern Indian languages?
What's wrong with 21st (or the 20th) century that one
must go back in time?

Thanks and Warm Regards,

LS