Smearing the Drums

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Jan 17 15:20:42 UTC 2001

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, N. Ganesan wrote:
> Can I be guided here with the parallel passage from
> Natyashastram where drums are smeared with some pastes?
>
> The possibility of the daubing drum membranes and
> the izicin2an2 ('drummer') has not been realized
> in all these years until now.

Chapter six in the Kalpasthana of the Susrutasamhita teaches how to make
up a caustic paste (k.saaraagada) and smear it on drums (dundhubhi),
banners, and town doorways.  Once this paste has been applied, and the
drums have been beaten loudly so that everyone can hear, any general
poisons affecting the populace will be banished.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.