"pakSatA" in (Navya-)NyAya

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Jan 16 18:35:22 UTC 2001

  I am looking for passages in NyAya literature which specify the
  notion of "pakSatA" (i.e. being the logical subject of an
  inference). Jitendranath Mohanty relates its being investigated in
  terms of (a) presence or absence of a desire to establish the
  probandum and (b) presence or absence of certainty regarding the
  presence of the probandum and adduces the SiddhAntamuktAvalI as
  textual support ("Reason and Tradition in Indian Thought", Oxford
  1992: Clarendon Press, pp.102ff.).

  What interests me in particular is the idea (according to Mohanty)
  that inference in some cases takes place WITHOUT uncertainty and
  WITHOUT the desire to establish the probandum, as for instance when
  the presence of a raincloud is spontaneously inferred from hearing
  thunder.

  I would like to know whether this particular approach to defining
  "pakSatA" is evidenced in earlier NyAya sources (pre Navya-NyAya,
  that is), and, in particular, whether there are any passages that
  provide further details on the notion of such spontaneous
  inferences. Of course, passages from non-NyAya works would be of
  interest as well. (If anyone's interested: This query is prompted by
  DharmakIrti's statements in PramANavArttikasvavRtti 27,15-22).

  Any hints will be appreciated,

--------
Best regards,

Birgit Kellner
Institute for Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
Vienna University