Some questions on Asuras

Gunthard Mueller gm at ANTHOSIMPRINT.COM
Sun Jan 14 21:39:24 UTC 2001

Thanks to Bernfried Schlerath to point to the mazdaa-medhaa equation. You are
right.
deva- meaning "heavenly" is certainly correct, at least for the original
meaning, though I like using "divine" because it actually uses the very same
root... And it's
difficult to tell when words based on this root in various IE linguistic
settings mean literally "heavenly" or more abstractly "god".

Steve:
thanks for your interesting comments on the Gatha - Rigveda relationship.
I am not in principle against the theory of mutually aggressive nomenclatura
in
the case of asura vs. daeuua, and you are perfectly right to point to the
close
exchange that was probably going on between the Indian and the Iranian
cultural
contexts in Rigvedic times.
But I feel that if there really was an entire cultural conflict behind this
linguistic issue, would one not assume that such a cultural conflict is
evident in more than just this particular parallel?
As I am not aware of any other such evidence, it seems to me that explaining
this development of two religious terms with a cultural conflict is like
explaining
a pot hole with an earthquake. Sorry for being a bit flowery. I do agree that
that
pot hole may be caused by an earthquake, but in that case we should find a
lot more if we go digging. And it is this evidence (which would have to be
pretty massive in the case of a cultural conflict, wouldn't you think?) which
I am at least not aware of. Maybe that evidence is there, and I am just not
aware of it? I haven't followed the issue for a while, so maybe somebody else
is more qualified than me to elaborate on what is currently input on this
issue.

Best regards,
Gunthard

gm at e-ternals.com