Some questions on Asuras

Satya Upadhya satya_upadhya at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 13 23:09:34 UTC 2001

Here is a rk from the Rg Veda (iv.25):

"O Agni, O Asura, this ritual (yajna) of ours is full of cows, of sheep
(aviman), of horses, of food, of offspring; may thou be always without anger
being in our assembly (sabhavan), a friend, like a human being
(nvrat-sakha), possessing huge wealth and vast waters."

Some questions:
1. How is that Agni, who is one of the Gods in the Rg Veda, is being
referred to as an "Asura" here, when we know that the term is actually used
to refer to people in derogatory terms.

2. Is there any great difference between the meanings of "Asura" and
"rakshasa"?

3. The word "aviman" (one full of sheep) is used here. Does this mean that
the Vedic seers were raising and tending sheep at one time?

4. Who exactly were the "Asuras"? [I have heard some very interesting
theories--identifying them with the Assyrians, the Persians, the Charvakas,
the Indus Valley inhabitants, etc.--but would like to know the recent
opinions on this matter.]

5. Is it true that the Vedic thinkers were thinking of God(s) in more human
terms than is done today (calling the God(s) their friend, etc.)

Thanking you,
Satya