KarnATaka/KannaDa

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 12 16:40:56 UTC 2001

>But the Sanskritised  "kar.naa.ta" seems to have existed already before
>then, and the question arises from which source the Cilappatikaaram word
>has come.

Interested in the early Sanskrit attestations of KarnaaTa.
What are the texts in Sanskrit that we find KarnaaTa or KannaDa or
variants thereof?

In any case, the CilappatikAram attestation of karunATar and
possibly earlier (But what are those??) Skt. KarnATa
militate against R. Narasimhacharya's fanciful etymology
of KarnATaka from 'fragrance'.

Regards,
SM