Karnataka/KannaDa (was: Karave caste and Kurus)

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Wed Jan 10 09:50:15 UTC 2001

Am Die, 09 Jan 2001 schrieben Sie:

> --- Robert Zydenbos <zydenbos at GMX.LI> wrote:
>
> > What also occurs to me in this connection is the example of ta.n +
> > niir giving ta.n.niir ("cool water", as in Tamil), where we see the 'n'
> > being assimilated to the '.n', while on the other hand we also have
> > the word tampu as an alternative (and the standard modern word)
> > for ta.npu "coolness", where we see assimilation in the opposite
> > direction: the '.n' becomes labialised.
>
> In Tamil?? taNpu never becomes tambu.
> tambu, the standard modern word, means "younger brother".
> tampi/tampu is from "tan2" 'one's own' and *not* from taN- 'cool'.

Sorry, there is a misunderstanding here: everything in my paragraph is
not Tamil, but Kannada (cf. that I wrote "ta.n.niir _as_ in Tamil").

ta.npu for "coolness" is never used in modern Kannada: it is always
tampu.

(In case anyone wonders: Tamil tambi 'younger brother' is Kannada
tamma.)

--
Robert Zydenbos
Institut für Indologie und Iranistik