Karwe in Maharashtra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jan 9 19:52:00 UTC 2001

I don't see any connection between the Marathi family name "karve" and the
Sanskrit word karma.  It does not look like it is related to their
ancestral home, which is the town of Muru.d in Konkan.  There may be a
family history, Karve-kula-v.rttaanta, which may shed light on the
significance of the name.  Many such family histories have been published
in Maharashtra.  Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande