Airyanam Vaejah near Kazakhstan?

Bhalchandrarao C Patwardhan kurundwadsenior at WMINET.NET
Mon Jan 8 07:32:24 UTC 2001

Dear Stephen (pardon my addressing you rather familiarly thus!)

Thank you for the comment about a proposed relationship between the
Sanskrit "MATI", the Avestan "HUMATA" and the Egyptian "MA'AT". It was most
enlightening, to say the very least.

What are your views about the main subject of my message? I would like very
much to hear.

Thank you again

Regards
BCP

At 00:30 1/8/2001 -0000, Stephen Hodge wrote:
>Bhalchandrarao C Patwardhan wrote:
>
>> One wonders, therefore, whether "Ma'at" isn't the same as the
>Sanskrit 'Mati'
>> or the Zoroastrian 'Humata'?
>
>This is dubious, I think.  For one thing the vocalization of Egyptian
>words is merely a convention as they were not indicated in
>hieroglyphic script so nobody knows whether "ma'at" was really
>pronounced thus..  Also etymologically, the word "ma'at" is a feminine
>noun (-t ending) derived from the verb " m*' "-- "be proper, be true".
>I do not know what the conventions for plain text representation of
>Egyptian sounds is, but here my "*" is a glotteral stop and " ' " (as
>in yr ma'at) is the consonantal 'ayin gutteral -- i.e the latter is
>not just a little apostrophe that happnes to get in the way.  Thus
>"m*' " is a tripartite root which is attested as far back as the
>Pyramid Texts.
>
>Best wishes,
>Stephen Hodge

Bhalchandrarao C Patwardhan
Kurundwad House
10A Mangaldas Road
Pune  -  411 001
India
"Until the Lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will
always glorify the hunter"  -  (Attributed to a Black African Leader)