More on Taittiriya Samhita texts

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 8 14:43:31 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

Firstly one of the list members has replied to me privately about my
question about the word lists following each paragraph in Satvalekaras
edition of the T.S.  He has indicated that these are a list of each 50th
word in the paragraph with a difference of accentuation or sandhi because
the section is treated as an independent unit.

Can someone answer the following regarding TS texts and manuscripts:

1) dIrgha svarita
Satvalekaras edition and Sastri and Rangacharyas edition of the TS do not
mark dIrgha svarita (Satvalekar has svarita where my chanting books for the
Rudram have dIrgha svarita.  Sastri and Rangacharyas edition does not have
the 4th kANDa).  Is dIrgha svarita not marked in TS manuscripts (or
generally in the texts) ?

2) Double chandrabindu
Sastri and Rangacharyas edition of the TS has two chandrabindus one above
the other over virama before following "s" which is part of a conjunct
consonent.

Examples:
(&& is two chandrabindus over virama, & is one chandrabindu over virama)
"sadanamayuddiva&& stabhAnAntarikSaM", "ya&& svaghiti... " and
" varUtha&& svAhA "
but "pitRNA& sadanam...".

One of the list members sent me a private posting a while ago indicating
that there is both a "long" and a "short" anusvAra in recitation but
indicated that this has to do with the length of the preceeding vowel.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.
Hurleyville, New York