Variations in Satvalekaras Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 7 23:23:10 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

Valerie Roebuck wrote:

>Harry Spier writes:
> >
> >Each paragraph of the text is followed by a similar list of variations.
>Can
> >someone clarify for me what exactly Satvalekar is refering to.  I was
>under
> >the impression that there are no variations to the TS.  Also what does
>the
> >number with the conjunction "ca" refer to?
>
>There's something very similar in J. L. Shastri's edition of the TaittirYya
>UpaniSad (UpaniSatsaMgrahaH, Motilal Banarsidass, 1970, pp. 21-31).  Here
>it appears to be a sort of aide-memoire, giving the initial word (or two)
>of each paragraph followed by the number of verses in it.

Satvalekar at the end of each chapter of his edition of Taittiriya Samhita
has such a list that Valerie Roebuck describes.  I.e. the first word of each
paragraph of that chapter followed by what appears to be a word count for
the paragraph.

But in addition after each paragraph of the chapter Satvalekar has a list of
what appear to be variations and within the body of the paragraph numeric
references to where the variations apply.  From the example I gave in my
original posting it can be seen that most of the variations he lists are
variations in accentuation but not all.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.