Variations in Satvalekaras Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 7 17:09:48 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

I've just made photocopies of chapters 5 and 7 of book 4 of Satvalekars
edition of the Taittiriya Samhita from the Oriental Collection of the New
York Public Library.  At the end of each paragraph Satvalekar has what
appears to be a list of variations in the section followed by a number with
the conjunction "ca".

(I'm using Harvard-Kyoto transliteration but will be placing the accent in
front of the vowel it applies to.)

For example at the end of TS.4.5.1 he has:
(hast'e,_dikSvi,-S'ava,_ubhAbh_yAM, dvAvi&zAtizca) ||1 ||

which appears to be variations on the text as follows:
1) hast_e | hast'e
2) d_ikSu | d_ikSvi
3) iS'avaH | iS'ava
4) _ubhAbhy'Am_uta | _ubhAbhy_Am_uta

Each paragraph of the text is followed by a similar list of variations.  Can
someone clarify for me what exactly Satvalekar is refering to.  I was under
the impression that there are no variations to the TS.  Also what does the
number with the conjunction "ca" refer to?

Also at various places within the text he has placed asterixes sometimes
followed by a single dash or by two dashes and sometimes preceeded by a
dash.  (see last lines of verse 4.5.9 and most lines of 4.5.11 and others).
What do these symbols -*,*-,*-- refer to?

As I mentioned I only have photocopies of chapters 4.5 and 4.7 and get into
New York rarely so I can't refer to any notes or introduction of Satvalekars
edition.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.