Govala/Golla and tamil KOvalar tribes

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 19:43:32 UTC 2001

 Important to know that a cognate of tamil kOvalar is found
in North India with the name, Govala/Goala. kOval is an
ancient town with major temples to both Vishnu and Shiva.

 C. P. Brown in his Telugu-English dictionary derives
Golla from Gorre 'a kind of sheep'. Compare with the
Tamil cognates from OTL:

koRi 02 1. sheep; 2. aries, a constellation of the zodiac

koRi-ttal 01 1. to nip off the husks of grains; to nibble grain; 2. to graze;
 to pick up food here and there, as cattle; to eat scantily;

koRRi 1. young calf; 2. cow with a young calf.