SV: SV: Plight of Buddhist art

Wed Feb 28 18:27:55 UTC 2001

if I
>remember my Kautilya, there should be at least one country between yourself
>and your ally.

If the Soviets had succeeded in Afghanistan, there would
have been one country in between - Pakistan. The line of
actual control in Kashmir ensures that Afghanistan and
India do not really share a border. Gilgit is effectively
with Pakistan.

In a very real sense, the Taleban is a creation of Western
policies towards the region. However, I think contemporary
Indian political commentators look up to Goldsmith's Vicar
of Wakefield as their ideal, rather than some old crooked
Indian from two millennia ago.

Vidyasankar