re. Plight of Buddhist art

Ven. Tantra troyoga at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 28 11:22:48 UTC 2001

Meeting with eminent Sri Lankan Buddhist clergy today in Singapore, the
consensus view is that someone with connections to UNESCO -- ranking
members of diplomatic missions, say -- should urge UNESCO to publicly
announce that Buddhists worldwide are willing to take guardianship of all
portable Buddhist art objects. We believed that this would spawn an
immediate emergency fund raising drive, and that between the general
Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Indian communities in Asia, we could come up
with an attractive amount of money that could perhaps be pledged for some
humanitarian projects in Afghanistan. Indian participation has strongly
been suggested as the two nations have recently shown some ability to
cooperate in a crisis. If anyone could help in the drafting a short plea
along these lines, we could begin alerting various embassies right away.
Singapore is a good for this as things are tight and tidy and English is
the main language. Your off-list ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Ven. Tantra