'Aasti' ?

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at APPLEONLINE.NET
Sat Feb 24 08:30:51 UTC 2001

Martin Gansten writes:

>'Property' and 'inheritance' do not
>exactly match the sense in which the word appears to be used in my texts,
>but at least they belong to the same sphere of meaning. (An example:
>tatprabhumuulaat ayutadvaya-aastilaabhavaan 'on account of his master, he
>earns twenty thousand aasti-s.')

How about: 'from his master, he comes to own [lit. becomes the possessor
of] a property of twenty thousand [currency units understood].'  The idea
of building up property (which could then be left to one's heirs) would fit
quite happily with the suggestions put forward by Srini Pichumani and
Noorjahan Begum.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK