Missing the Point of the Many Masks [was: dvija varNa]

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 22 21:44:39 UTC 2001

>Bob Peck wrote..
>..had to translate writings as related to remote supernatural powers >which
>became the basis for priesthood and religion. The original >teachers
>therefore had to become god like.

Attributing super natural powers or myth making may be done by awakened
people as well.  This seems to be a method of communicating their
experiences to people. Historically it is natural to expect batches of
awakened people followed by batches of sleepwalkers to be followed by
awakened.

>In assuming that the early writers knew what they were saying, and
> >ignoring the later commentaries or later accepted meanings of words,

We can't really have a cut off date for "later", is it yAjnavalkya,
pataJjali, Sankara, sAyaNa or ramaNa maharSi? They are all inspired by the
same spirit, but in different ways. To decide a cut off date is highly
subjective, and depends on what you are looking for.

I know one executive who always used to classify his tasks into phase-1 and
phase-2. Whatever is easy goes into phase-1 and whatever is difficult goes
into phase-2. Likewise for some interpreters, whatever is easy to understand
is "knowledge portion" and rest (even in the simple upaniSats), is "ritual
junk". The moment we get lazy, we start resisting anything new and try to
freeze what we know. Ofcourse I dont deny careless and premature attempts.

>5 ‘M’s/splitting the tongue

Please explain.
Regards,
Bhadraiah