dharmapada (Sanskrit cribs for Pali texts)

Miroslav Rozehnal mirek at MS19.HINET.NET
Wed Feb 21 20:17:14 UTC 2001

At 03:04 PM 2001/2/21 -0500, Phillip Ernest wrote
>Dear List:
>
>I must plague the list, alas, with an undergraduate question.
>
>Pali is not taught at the University of Toronto anymore.  I have begun to
>look at Pali myself, and am trying to get the hang of the phonetic
>changes.  But it would be much easier if there were Sanskrit translations
>of Pali texts that I could use, especially editions that pair the Sanskrit
>and Pali.  I seem to remember reading that there was some translation of
>at least basic Pali texts into Sanskrit (I know I have heard of a
>'_dharmapada_').  Professor Stella Sandahl, this university's lone
>Sanskrit professor, says she doesn't know of any such translations.  I
>have yet to hear from Prof. Leonard Priestley, who as an expert in Indian
>Buddhism may know of texts Stella has not heard of.  In the meantime, is
>anybody on the list able and willing to tell me of texts and editions of
>this sort?

We are publishing an online translation of the Pali Dhammapada. You can
find it on:
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/PALI/reading/dhapa.htm
Twenty new verses are added each month, the whole Dhammapada will be
finished soon.
You will need to download a ttf font to be able to read the text, go to
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/PALI/reading.htm and download from there.
Don't miss also the main page http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw with many informations
about Buddhism in general.

Regards, Miroslav Rozehnal