Re: Q: Mayrhofer's Wörterbuch

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Feb 20 14:46:03 UTC 2001

Ferenc Ruzsa asked:

>it appears from a catalogue that a new edition of Mayrhofer's Etymological
>Dictionary is being published.
>
>1. Is it significantly different from the previous one?
>2. How much of it appeared yet? (According to the catalogue, vols. 1-2 and
>fasc. 1-3 of vol 3 [1998], but it does not say which letters of the alphabet
>have been covered.)

The new dictionary (Etymologisches Woerterbuch des Altindischen, starting
in 1985) gives references to the research done since the first one was
completed. In addition to that, one of the major differences is that it
falls into two parts: Vol. I and II (complete with Lieferung 20, 1996)
include the vocabulary of the older (i.e. Vedic) language, Vol. III,
starting with Lieferung 21 (1997), contains words belonging to the later
language only. Vol. III is complete as far as the letters of the alphabet
are concerned. On page 569 in Lieferung 28 (2000) starts the Register
(arranged according to the different ie. languages), which is almost
complete now (Lieferung 30 has been published in 2000).

Best regards,
G.v.Simson