Sanskrit in Kerala (c. 1000 BCE)

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 19 17:47:18 UTC 2001

Mr. Narayan Joshi writes:
>I , single person, cannot study every detail of every
>part of India from 550 BCE to this day, Languages are changing even
>today.However pre-history of India to me looks very different when I find
>the Kerala king signing trade agreement with king Soloman(1000 BCE) in
>Sanskrit. Persian king Daurius called his mother tongue Arya BhA.sA.

In Sanskrit??
This assertion made here makes me wonder.

1) Was it Vedic or Classical Sanskrit of the Epics that the
Chera king was using in his treaty with Solomon in 1000 BCE?
What is the reference on which this claim is based?

2) Has there been a complete revisioning of datings for Keralan
history? For example, the Nambudiri brahmins who spearheaded
the Sanskritization of Kerala, and created Malayalam out of
old Tamil did not arrive there until 5th century CE or so.
What is the basis for this revolutionary revisioning of
Chera kings writing treaty atleast a millennium or more before
the dates that is standard among Kerala historians?

Sincerely,
SM