dvija varNa

L.S.Cousins selwyn at NTLWORLD.COM
Sun Feb 18 06:54:33 UTC 2001

Ven. Tantra writes:

>One is awestruck at the insistence of so many scholars
>to continue to speak on the subject of Buddhism as if
>one Sakyamuni actually existed. This is particularly
>troubling in light of the mere ìtissue of fableî and
>implausible history upon which ñ perhaps better put
>ñìBuddha-ismî so infirmly rests.

Well, I think you are right that most - indeed, practically all -
scholars would affirm the historical existence of the Buddha. There
are problems in regard to his biography, it is true. We don't know
how much of the discourses and Vinaya material which tell us about
his life-story is old. Some of it probably is, but it is difficult to
be sure what.

We know that the Emperor Asoka was shown places associated with the
Buddha's life-story around 150 years after his death. Since this is
the earliest occurrence of writing in India, we cannot get earlier
data from written sources.

That said, however, the biographical material is probably later than
the teachings. So for me the kind of passages we get in e.g. some of
the Majjhimanikaaya discourses presenting those teachings show every
sign of being the product of a single originating mind. Tying this
down in detail is necessarily difficult because we have no
independent corroboration. but I wouldn't doubt it myself. The
tradition itself was concerned to preserve those essential teachings,
not personal details of the life-story of its founder.

Lance Cousins

--
HEADINGTON, UK

CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS: