Lhasa to Nalanda - journey time by foot

Richard B Mahoney rbm49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Fri Feb 16 04:13:45 UTC 2001

Dear Eliot,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:55:16PM -0500, Elliot M. Stern wrote:
> I'm hoping that somebody on the list can answer this question. About how
> long would it take to walk from Lhasa or its environs to Nalanda in Bihar?
> References to 20th century journeys by foot in either direction between some
> specified location in India to or from the Lhasa area would help , such as
> books about Tibetan refugees' experiences.
>
> The aim is to form an idea of how long it might have taken the Buddhist monk
> zaantarakSita to travel to Tibet, and return in the 7th century.

I'm not sure of "Saantarak.sita's route but for that of Marpa the
Translator you could consult pp. xxvii ff. of:

@Book{trungpa:life,
  editor =       "Ch\"{o}gyam Trungpa",
  title =        "The Life of Marpa The Translator: Seeing Accomplishes
                 All",
  publisher =    "Shambhala",
  stitle =       "The Life of Marpa",
  year =         "1995",
  key =          "trungpa:1995",
  address =      "Boston \& London",
  note =         "a trans. of `Mar pa rnam thar' by Gtsang smyon He ru
                 ka (1452--1507) by the N\={a}land\={a} Translation Committee
                 under the direction of Ch\"{o}gyam Trungpa",
}

His journeys seem to have been protracted for various reasons not
the least of which would have been the difficulty of
acclimatisation.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
78 Jeffreys Rd                                      +64-3-351-5831