Tilak

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Feb 15 14:10:42 UTC 2001

Tilak was well versed in Sanskrit as is clear from his Giitaarahasya and
writings on Indian astronomy.  In the Giitaarahasya, he is engaged in a
serious debate with Zankara's Bhaa.sya.  He had extensively read Sanskrit
literature of different kinds.  I do not know of an independent Sanskrit
work by Tilak, but he composed a dedicatory verse in Sanskrit at the
beginning of his Giitaarahasya, which ends with the line:
        zriizaaya janataatmane
which nicely combines the dedication to God who is of the nature of the
people of India.  Best,
                                Madhav Deshpande