Hindi

Wed Feb 14 11:31:20 UTC 2001

>its English inventors. Since the very fathers of the language spelled it
>like this, and since Hindee is also known as Hinglish because of this,
>surely there can be nothing wrong in this spelling?

Surely then, there is nothing wrong with old and quaint spellings
like Gentoo, Hindoo, Moslem, Cadi, Achmed, Mahomet, etc?

>instead of cars to travel. Time to think about the sociological
>implications of 100 years of blind Hindee enforcement by Sanghis.

Sometimes, I don't know whether to be amused or annoyed with the
blissful ignorance of recent Indian history in evidence on this
list. By Sanghis, I presume Samar refers to the VHPites and their
intellectual fathers in the RSS and Hindu Mahasabha. Perhaps,
memory needs to be refreshed. Till August 15, 1947, we had a few
assorted viceroys from England. After that date, we have had the
Congress party ruling over India for about 40 years out of the
54 years of independence (that is 80% of the time, for those so
inclined to care). Those making decisions about "Hindee" were
most often Nehru and his dynastic successors, with their chosen
language lords and culture czars. How does Samar Abbas propose
to account for 100 years of enforcement by Sanghis? Are we
talking something sensible here, or is everything Indian to be
held ransom to foolish political rhetoric?

Vidyasankar