dvija varNa

Lynken Ghose lynkenghose at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 14 04:32:07 UTC 2001

Dear Lance Cousins:

You stated:

"It is basic to historical processes that very small imperceptible
changes in each generation add up to very large changes over centuries. Any
historical method which ignores this is absurd."

I don't follow your reasoning processes here. I don't see how either
Gombrich or I fit into the category you have described. I think that you
have jumped to a lot of conclusions without fully explaining your train of
thought. That makes for an unclear discussion.

Gombrich offers some information from a study, which I quoted, in the
interest of shedding some light on the composition of the early Buddhist
community. In his description of the information Gombrich clearly mentions
that this commentary is from circa 500 CE (although perhaps based on earlier
material) and is therefore not entirely reliable.

I don't recall ever stating that this was infallible information, nor does
Gombrich. Nevertheless, it is interesting and it does state that there were
people of lower castes involved in early Buddhism: that's all that was
offered. In this commentary, according to Gombrich, there is information
about 328 monks and nuns and the various castes that they belonged to. 21
are listed as from the s'uudra and outcastes.
While we do have to be skeptical, because of the late date etc., the
information cannot be entirely dismissed as "absurd." Instead, I think that
we should try to consider every piece of information carefully and not rule
out any possibility.

Sincerely,

Lynken Ghose